- Research, development and preparation of; advanced ceramic materials, including foams and ceramic composites and advanced materials based on polymers. Degradation and stabilization of polymeric materials, flame retarded polymers.
- Study of fundamental aspects of materials science by means of molecular modeling techniques and their application to systems of industrial interest.
- Design of machines, mechanical components and systems for general industrial use. Analysis and optimization of industrial process.
- Thermodynamics and Fluid Dynamics analysis of industrial problems; Study and development of sustainable energy systems.
This group of research is devoted to the application of Materials Science. Particularly, on the preparation and performances of polymeric and ceramic materials as well as their composites. The main activity of this sector consists in the design of advanced materials for special applications, i.e.:
- Application of materials science in the selection of plastics material for high-tech applications.
- Development of plastics and polymer matrix nanocomposites through the design of innovative formulations for high-tech applications.
- Study of polymer matrix composites and ceramic, foam ceramic and related manufacturing techniques: Autoclave, RTM, infusion molding, sintering, CVI, PIP, reaction bonding.
- Study of the degradation and stabilization of polymeric materials, flame retardancy of polymeric materials
- Characterization of plastics.
- Preparation and characterization of polymers reinforced with carbon nanotubes and nanofibers.
- Techniques trimensionale reconstruction from tomography, works on a different scale for the topological characterization (clusters of nano fibers) and the simulation of their behavior in the field of multiphysics (ceramic foam).
- Multiscale simulations in the study phase of the materials.
The researchers of the working group have skills in the design, construction and testing of machines, structures, mechanical and mechatronic systems, automated machinery and robots, lifting and transport and mechanical components for applications in biomedical. In addition to these specific addresses, research activities are aimed at simulations of industrial production processes. In particular, the skills are:
- Development and design of automatic assembly
- Functional design of mechanical and mechatronic
- Development and design of components and structures
- Kinematics and dynamics of machines, mechanical systems and robots
- Static and dynamic analysis in the field for the calculation in linear and nonlinear regime
- Simulation of structural dynamics such as frequency response and shock
- Analysis of impact, the study of behavior in terms of crash structures.
- 3D simulation and optimization for the rheological study, verification and optimization of molds and molding cycles with thermoplastics
- Study and modeling of the rheological behavior of metals under different strain, strain rate and temperature
The research group is active in issues related to modeling and simulation of thermo-fluid dynamics problems. Among the topics of high interest of this group are energy and heat exchange. In particular, the group is active in the field of renewable energy through participation in industrial projects on solar concentration and with initiatives funded by SUPSI for wind energy. In particular, the skills are:
- Analysis and numerical modeling of complex phenomena related to thermo-fluid dynamics;
- Thermal fluid-dynamics simulations of stationary and time dependent phenomena;
- Computational Fluid Dynamics for internal and external flows;
- Heat exchange;
- Thermo-Fluid Dynamics of renewable energy systems;
- Laminar reactive flows in homogeneous and heterogeneous (gas-solid) phase;
- Modelling and simulation of catalytic partial oxidation processes.